Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Natural Supplements for Vitality - Somaplus



Nowadays, there are many different food supplements promising everything from vitality, health beauty etc, etc. Some are mustered via MLM companies charging exorbitant fees for the membership or supplements, whilst others are over the counter so-called miracles (which ain't that cheap either). However, the mainstay of popularity for these supplements are the natural ingredients which is suppose to be better than your normal diet.

Although it may sound a bit like a commercial, I do agree to some certain extent we would require supplementation for our vitamins, trace minerals and other required nutrients for an optimal bodily function. Food nowadays are processed excessively with too many chemicals and other additives which have not been researched fully as to their long term side effects. Furthermore, with the emergence of news of fraud with the regulatory bodies where a lot of the companies pay off the people inside to get their products approved without proper clearance or studies conducted makes you a bit paranoid to take processed food items or drugs altogether. Certain chemicals and colourings in food items have proven to cause hyperactiveness in children, attention disorders, mood swings and increased risk for obesity leading to the whole myriad of diseases.

Hence why more and more health conscious people are going to a more natural diet which involves organic food substances and reduced intake of prepared preserved food items from the shelves. We have all sorts of diets that encourage natural foods and discourage any form of junkfood or fastfood or canned food thus eliminating chance of consuming these additives in food that make them last longer. It may appear querky to some most people but for the health conscious it is a necessity. Besides, the diet does influence the body in terms of its shape and performance.

I count myself as a naturalist to a certain extent. Living in Malaysia it is almost impossible to go all organic especially since most of the food cooked outside uses some form of unnatural seasoning. Hence my naturalist endeavours would be more on my own time, from my own kitchen or friends who share similar concepts. But as much as I could, I would avoid processed or overcooked food. Which was why recently I was given the opportunity to try out a very interesting product called Somaplus.


Somaplus

This product is supplied by a medical supplier thus can only be found in clinics or medical centers. It has a very interesting history surrounding its creation. The product concept originates from an island in Japan called Okinawa. The product is made in USA. Well, back to my story, the island of Okinawa is also known as the "Village of Long Life" and is situated between Kyusu and Taiwan. There are 34 centenarians (a person who lives past 100 years old) per 100,000 people, which is 3X more than the rate in Japan. They believe that this longevity is due to the lifestyle and unique diet which involves fermented soy products, fermented rice, seaweed, sweet potato and potato roots. Hence the basis of this supplement drink.


Somaplus comes in sachets which you need to dilute in water. The drink is somewhat sweet and the taste is palatable. However, don't sniff the powder directly because it is pretty sharp in powder form (yes, I sniffed it that's why I know). You can feel the powder straight to the throat if you do. I started taking the product since 2 weeks ago when I got my first box. There are 22 sachets per box meant for 11 days i.e. morning and before dinner with 2 rest days a week (altogether 15 days). The recommended is 1 hour before meal and they recommend a high protein low carb meal. So how did I fair?



I run a very busy schedule, so I was pretty discipline with the early morning dose of the drink. Initially there was nothing much to tell about it but after a week I felt less sleepy in the morning and I had an improved energy level. I forgot to rest initially, so I only rested after the 10th day, but the 2 day rest was okay, I did not feel a withdrawal of energy. I sometimes took the afternoon sachet if I happen to remember. Perhaps being pretty young, the 1 a day sachet was enough to boost my energy level. However, I did notice a few other things besides the energy. My staff noticed my skin complexion improved despite no treatment being done on my face - I attributed it to the new products that I was testing on my face, but even my body skin seem to glow a bit more. I was more alert and I felt happier and motivated for exercise. Despite being of my calcium pills, I did not experience much cramps as I normally would, and the more astonishing part - I was able to go on without coffee for more than a day. Even if I drank coffee, it would not be the number 1 thing in the morning as it use to be and I cut back drastically from 8 shots to a mere 2-3 shots a day. I also notice that I sleep better and I tend to wake up at the same time every morning even without alarm clock. I wake up feeling fresher and less lethargic compared to before. Seems to be doing a lot for me, but bear in mind, I am quite a health freak and consumed supplements would have similar effects but not exactly the same for everyone.

So what is it actually? Soamplus is made out of natural ingredients which help boost the production of hormones in the body mainly Growth Hormones, DHEA and Melatonin. It is also a potent antioxidant which helps with the elimination of free radicals in the body. The main ingrediets are NAtto (Japanese fermented soy), Miso (Japanese fermented soy paste), Satsumaimo (Japanese sweet potato) and Mochi (Sweet sticky rice). So don't think this sachet has no sugar, it has natural sugars and each sachet has approximately 0.62gms of Sugar. Besides the powder getting to my throat, I think my appetite increased a bit on this supplement. It could be also due to my more relaxed mood.

A few comparative studies have been on the Okinawa diet comparing the benefits between the diet and other countries without the diet and it has shown positive response towards cancer, dementia and improvement of sex hormones. However, I have yet to come across a controlled RCT study between this product and a placebo. Still, it does seem to be giving some benefits and the price for this product is not exorbitant. 1 month supply is approximately RM 500 +/- and has 2 boxes taken 5 days a week and rested 2 days. Since it is a supplement, you may only see the results after long term consumption after the initial boost. They recommend at least 6 months of consumption for the most optimal effect.


I would recommend taking this supplement prior to starting out any bio-identical hormones to see whether there is symptoms improvement. For me, it seems to work to a certain extent. It is not a one all cure for everything, so don't think you can just skip your medications etc, by taking this product.

For more information, do call us at 03-21440080 / 014-2233268 or email enquiries to faceworksclinic@gmail.com. You can also LIKE our FB page and PM us the comment there.


1 comment: